Subject: Campus-Wide Addressing System
From: "EDWARD A. DILLARD" <[email-masked]>

(by way of Sharon Gerlach)  Thu Jul 24 09:30:56 1997

Greetings,
  The University is implementing a new street addressing system to comply
with 911 fire, police and emergency services response time.  In addition,
the new system will hopefully improve mail and aid visitors finding
building locations.  You may want to add a line to your correspondence and
business cards which reflects the new street address for the following
buildings:

CIS				 420 Via Palou Mall
Paul Allen CIS addition		 330 Serra Mall
Ginzton Labs & Annex		 450 Via Palou
Ginzton Labs Modular		 464 Via Palou
McCullough Building		 476 Lomita Mall
Durand Building			 496 Lomita Mall
Godzilla Modular		 340 Panama Street
Bambi Modular			 320 Panama Street
Gates Computer Science Building	 353 Serra Mall

A complete listing of building addresses can be found at:
  http://www-facilities/address/

Sharon
****************************************************

FORWARDED MESSAGE 07/22/97 08:55 FROM [email-masked] "Marv
Herrington": Campus-Wide Addressing System

On July 14, Vice Provost Geoff Cox sent a memo to all Deans and Vice
Presidents announcing the implementation of a campus-wide building
addressing system.  This addressing system will answer several issues:
     New FCC regulations requiring street addresses for all 9-1-1
	emergency systems;
     Improved mail delivery;
     Enhanced response from police, fire and emergency medical services;
     Improved visitor information and guidance;

The following information is provided in anticipation of questions you
may have as building mangers.  The updated address list, sorted by
quad/building number, can be found on the Facilities Operations Web
Page.  Point your browser to http://www-facilities/address/

Use of Building Addresses: To satisfy FCC requirements and provide
accurate emergency 9-1-1 system reporting, all occupied University
buildings have been assigned a street address to complement their
quad/building number.  For most departments the new addressing system
is optional - you may elect not to use your assigned address on
correspondence.  However about 30 buildings that already had assigned
street addresses had to be renumbered to conform to the new addressing
system.  In these cases, the new street address will be mandatory
after January 1, 1998.  These exception buildings have been listed in
the Facilities Operations Web page.

If a department occupies more than one building, the main building may
be used as the exclusive address for mail or deliveries.  The other
buildings will still have a street address for 9-1-1 emergency
response, but departments can ignore these addresses, as the emergency
response system will be automated to dispatch help to specific
buildings.

Mail Delivery: For the most part, University I.D. mail and U.S. mail
delivery will not change under the new addressing system.  University
mail service will continue to use mail codes, but will now be able to
better locate street addressed destinations if the mail code is
missing.  Delivery of mail by the U.S. Postal Service can not be
expanded beyond the buildings which currently receive U.S. mail
delivery.  However, street addresses will help minimize the problem of
undeliverable mail due to insufficient address.  Again, those
buildings with current street addresses which are changing must
convert to their new address to continue mail delivery after the new
year.

Street Address Numbers on Buildings: Departments wishing to install a
street address number on the exterior of their building are to follow
the specifications in the Facilities Project Management Procedures
Manual, Section DD-5 "Exterior Building Signs".  A copy of this
specification has been provided with the memo to the Deans and
Vice-Presidents.

Building Omitted or other Miscellaneous Questions: If a street address
was not provided for your building, or if there is some issue with the
assigned address, contact Lt.  Del Bandy at the Department of Public
Safety via E-Mail ([email-masked]).  Provide a brief
description of your request, your name, phone and E-Mail address.
Lt. Bandy will confer with the implementation team and you will be
contacted to resolve the issue.

During the initial implementation of this system, it is expected that
several additions and corrections may be required.  As changes are
made, SUFED and the Facilities Operations Web page will be
updated. You patience and assistance is appreciated.

****************************************************